Prisms and Pyramids
Introduction
In this writeup, I have talk how I being a mathematics teacher had used an app called Shapes 3D Geometry to teach grade three children about 3D shapes like prisms and pyramid. I have elaborated on how I had used the app and how it is related to educational purpose. Although this tool was different and new to me apart from other ICT tools I learnt this semester, however I found the app very useful and effective for the mathematics class to teach about 3D shapes. We all know that, in the past our mathematics teachers would teach us about shapes by drawing it on the green board and using textbook. That teaching strategy was narrow and teacher centered. Most students could not understand concretely about it, however if both the teachers and students could learn using such a modern tools and apps, I think it will be more time saving for both the teachers and learners as well as effective methods.
Class: THREE
Subjects: Mathematics
Topic: 3D shapes (Prisms and Pyramid)
Tool used: Shapes 3D Shapes app.
Learning Objectives:
By the end of the session, a child should be able to;
i. tell the difference between 2D and 3D shapes.
ii. draw the diagrams of different prisms and pyramid.
iii. describe the number of faces, edges and corners of different 3D shapes.
Creation of the materials
In the beginning I wondered what better ICT tools are there to teach about 3D shapes to children. I was really in keen to use one different tools or programmes other than what I learnt this semester like power point presentations (ppt), google classrooms, camtasia, etc. I browsed through the internet and finally I came across an app called Shapes 3D Geometry. After exploring on it, I found it was very easy and simple to use, but very effective educational tool to prepare lesson on 3D shapes. Although I was using it for the first time, but within a short period of time I could make best use of it. It was also quick and saved my time in preparing lesson.
I downloaded the app in my computer. I wanted to create a different 3D shapes chronologically. Firstly, I created a hexagonal pyramid using the features options like size and colour. I applied different colour in each face of the shape. I can even rotate the shapes in any direction and open each of the faces of shape and close it back to the normal formation. This will make students understand how to draw a hexagonal shape. Next, created a Dodecahedron. Here I had to combine more pentagonal polygon to create this. This shape was quite difficult to create compare to other shapes. Again I applied the same features to coloured it and open each faces of the shape to make students understand better. The edges, corners and vertices of the shapes were very clear and distinct so children can identify it clearly.
Then I created a shapes like Octahedron, cube, triangular pyramid and prisms. rectangular prism and pyramid followed by pentagonal prisms and pyramid. All these different 3D shapes can be created using same features, but in different way. I found this app very easy to use and effective to learn about prisms and pyramid.
The video attached below will clearly show the steps on how to use this app.
When and how this material can be used?
I will use this material during lesson delivery time which is before activity. Since there are many students in the class, it is impossible for the teacher to go and teach individually. So, what I will do is I will teach this lesson using Projector in the classroom or in the video format so everyone can see it. Another option is I will take all the children to the IT lab and work together along with the students.
Students can also use this app in their parents' computer and mobile phone at home to practice creating shapes. One reason why I selected this tool was because it is very easy to use and to the learning level of grade three students. This tool will help students understand about the 3D shapes better than mere learning through teacher's verbal teaching and in paper mode.
How does it helps students learn?
With using Shapes 3D Geometry, students can discover and create nets of solids as well as explore vertices, edges and faces of 3D shapes. They can also draw heights, line segments and cross sections within 3D shapes. More importantly, using this tool will inspire the students to investigate geometric solids and help them understand it deeper.
Activity:
Drawing prisms and pyramid using Shapes 3D app.
Instructions
For the activity, I will take the students to the IT lab. Students will download the app Shapes 3D geometry in their individual computer. Then they will practice drawing the shapes given below in the table using the downloaded app. Then they will also determine the required numbers for the shapes.
|
Shapes
|
Vertices |
edges |
Triangular
faces |
Rectangular
faces |
|
Triangular
pyramid |
|
|
|
|
|
Rectangular
pyramid |
|
|
|
|
|
Pentagonal
pyramid |
|
|
|
|
|
Hexagonal
pyramid |
|
|
|
|
|
Triangular
prism |
|
|
|
|
|
Rectangular
prism |
|
|
|
|
|
Hexagonal
prism |
|
|
|
|
If you have any comments...leave here!! Thank you.
No comments:
Post a Comment